Guest Post: Mango Chicken Curry
This super easy one-pot meal is perfect for an easy dinner on those busy weekdays. It’s a flavorful dish that can be adjusted to you and your family’s taste. You can make it more sweet, spicy, or both!
Hi! I’m Michelle, an intern from Utah State University. Brianna asked me to write a guest blog post to share with you all today. This Mango Chicken Curry is inspired from one of my favorite Indian restaurants back in my hometown in Southern California. Since California is about 900 miles away, here’s a dish you can whip up in about 40 minutes in your own kitchen.
First, I chop up a red bell pepper and onion, and sauté them for 2 to 3 minutes, with a bit of olive oil.
Then I like to add my spices! This may seem like a weird time to add them, but the hot oil it gently fries them enhancing their flavor. This is a technique I learned from a friend of mine called blooming. The spices become so fragrant and the dish starts to smell amazing!
Then add a can of diced tomatoes and a can light coconut milk. Don’t forget to shake the coconut milk very well to mix the milk and cream together.
After that add a bag of frozen mangoes. This makes this recipe so easy-- you don’t have to cut up a fresh mango or wait around for mango season to make it. This recipe would work well with frozen or canned pineapple too if you prefer.
Bring the curry to a boil and add diced chicken. I recommend cutting the chicken into small and uniform pieces, so they cook quickly and evenly.
Next, cover the curry with a lid and reduce to a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Add the brown sugar for a touch of sweetness that really helps to bring out the flavor in the mango and coconut milk. Then adjust the seasonings to your taste.
I made some basmati rice to go with this meal, and a fresh green salad. I love to top this recipe with cilantro, and feel free to add a dash of sriracha for some extra heat, if you’re into that! (:
Mango Chicken Curry
Serving size: 1 cup
Servings per recipe: 5
· 1 Tbsp olive oil
· 1 lb chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces)
· 10 oz bag frozen mango chunks
· 1 red pepper (diced)
· 1 onion (diced)
· 1 can light coconut milk
· 1 can diced tomato
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· 1 tsp ground ginger
· 2 to 3 Tbsp curry powder
· 1 to 2 Tbsp brown sugar
· Chili powder, to taste
· Red pepper flakes, to taste
· Salt and pepper, to taste
· Cilantro, except garnish
1. In a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat add olive oil, red pepper and onion. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add seasonings and mix to evenly coat vegetables.
3. Add coconut milk and diced tomatoes.
4. Add bag of frozen mango and boil, then add chicken pieces.
5. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked and reaches the internal temperature of 165F, about 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Add brown sugar, adjust seasonings and serve over rice, with cilantro.